Footer Pages

The silence continues

In the 24 hours to 8am 21 June 2012, Israeli air strikes killed a 14-year-old boy, Momen al-Adam, and injured 2 children. Imagine the headlines and outrage that would be expressed by our politicians and news media if a 14-year-old Israeli boy had been killed and two Israeli children injured.

But that’s not all, more Israeli air strikes destroyed five homes and a school. Imagine the headlines if Palestinians had destroyed Israeli homes or a school. Yet another Israeli air strike destroyed a Gaza home and damaged others nearby. Our news media didn’t think that newsworthy either.

The Israeli Navy, (Israel is a favoured member of the OECD) opened fire on and hijacked a Palestinian fishing boat in the same 24-hour period. Would our news media and politicians have taken notice if an Israeli fishing boat had been fired upon and hijacked? The answer is obvious. Eight Palestinian towns and villages suffered night raids and/or home invasions in the same period. Israeli homes in Israel are never invaded at night or in the day.

While silence amounts to complicity, proper reporting and publicity could contribute a valuable and non-violent form of pressure upon Israel to respect international law and basic human rights.

One Response to The silence continues

  1. Ariadna Theokopoulos June 22, 2012 at 4:35 am #

    It goes on and on and on

    Occupied Palestine and Israel: News and Articles

    News
    International Middle East Media Center

    Brigades: 2 Hamas militants die inspecting bombed tunnel
    6/21/2012 – GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Two Hamas militants died Thursday after inhaling gas in a tunnel bombed by Israel two days earlier, the Al-Qassam Brigades said. Thaer al-Bik, 30, and Muhammad al-Khalidi, 26, on Thursday went to inspect a tunnel in northern Gaza that was damaged Tuesday by an Israeli airstrike, the brigades said in….

    Outrage as Israel breaks prisoner agreement
    6/21/2012 – BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Prisoner rights group Addameer on Thursday said it was outraged by Israel’s decision to renew the administrative detention of a former hunger striker. Hassan Safadi ended a 71-day hunger strike on May 14 after Israel promised notto renew his detention without charge or trial. Israel’s decision…. Related: Addameer – Urgent: Hunger striker’s administrative detention order renewed in violation of recent agreement

    Israeli forces detain 6 fishermen off Gaza coast
    6/21/2012 – GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained six fishermen off the coast of the Gaza Strip on Wednesday night, a local official said. Mahfouz al-Kabariti, Chairman of the Palestinian Association for Fishing and Marine Sports, said in a statement that Israeli troops detained six fishermen from three boats near Beit Lahiya. He identified those….

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: